Monday 20 June 2011

Zulu lessons and some global stuff

Lu and I are having Zulu lessons.  "Sawubona," she says.  I repeat.  "Ngiyaphila."  I repeat.  Then she lists her friends' names and I repeat those.  Not exactly extensive Zulu lessons, but pretty good for a 3 year old teacher.

I asked someone the other day why South Africa didnt have school buses.  "Oh the IMF and the World Bank took away our funding for them."  Shocking.  Kids in the US and Europe can have free transportation to school, but not kids in Africa.  Wow.  Based on my knowledge of the IMF and the World Bank, I cant say that I was totally surprised.  The majority of their decisions are made with the mindset that the West knows what's best for the Rest.  Totally ridiculous, but that's the reality.    

No comments:

Post a Comment