Wednesday 8 June 2011

Last night we watched a movie called “Skin.”  I highly recommend it for anyone willing to watch the disgust, inhumanity, and true cruelty that characterized Apartheid.  I have a very low tolerance for violent movies, especially ones that feature real injustices, which this movie definitely did.  I found myself extremely sad and angry while watching this movie.  I was yelling at the “bad guys” (white supremacists, in this case) like I do in most movies, and wanting to jump through the television screen and scream at them.  I later thought to myself, “I watch a movie and get sickened by the injustice of Apartheid, and these people in South Africa have been able to reconcile with and forgive their oppressors.  Holy moses! How do people do this? How does a society move on as well as South Africa has?”  I do not have the answers to these questions, although I am sure that throughout the program, I will learn more about these questions.  As stated earlier, I do not mean to paint an unrealistically positive picture of today’s society and racial situation in South Africa, but considering their history, they have come a hell of a long way.  


   

No comments:

Post a Comment