Wednesday 8 June 2011

what's been written so far

I have absolutely no idea how to do this blog business, but Ive been writing a journal and here's what Ive got thus far. Enjoy!


A few days before departure

            Humans are all creatures of habit, but I think my need for a steady routine, including daily runs and little variation in my daily diet, is perhaps a bit more intense than the typical college student’s need for routine.  This dependency on routine and consistency has been my main concern about studying in South Africa for six weeks.  Two days without a run makes for an anxious, crazy me.  I am all about new foods, but I am usually much more picky than Id like to be.  “Broadening my horizons” in these departments will be good for my routine oriented self though.  If I want to spend a significant amount of time throughout Africa post graduation (which I indeed do), getting over a “rainman lifestyle” is absolutely necessary. 

            Other than my concerns about my absurd routine addiction, I couldn’t be more excited about spending six weeks studying and living in a country that is seventeen years out of a system of intensely strict segregation.  So much to learn, so much to see, so many people who have experienced such significant events, and are willing to share those experiences with people like me- what a great experience this will be.  Since the program is based upon education and social change, part of our time will be spent participating in a practicum in a local school.  Considering how much I absolutely love working with kids, I might be most excited about this.  During the two weeks I spent in Uganda, I could not get away from the precious kids running all over the place.  Im hoping South Africa will be the same way- streets filled with kids playing soccer or any other games that they can create. 



June 5, 2011

            Well, my mixed feelings of anxiety and excitement carried into my arrival in South Africa.  Luckily, I met someone on my plane who is participating in the same program as I, so I searched for him at the baggage claim where I found two others doing the same thing.  “Off to a good start,” I thought to myself.  I can bond with some folks and get over my fear about getting acquainted with new people.  After a game of bananagrams, we headed towards the center of the airport and found our group of Americans being greeted by three South Africans with a paper sign that read “SIT” (the program with which I am studying).  Things were going well.  Everyone was friendly, eager to meet each other, and clearly excited about the program.  We piled into a couple of vans and drove to a quaint little house where we would all sleep, eat, and shower for the next 48 hours.  My only problem thus far was my toes feeling as though they were frostbitten.  It was MUCH colder than I expected.  Johannesburg has a significantly different climate than Durban (where the program will be held and the location for which I checked the weather).  A steamy shower, a pair of socks, a few t-shirts, and several blankets solved my problem, and I was soon sleeping like a well-fed baby. 

            Sunday started early (for me) with breakfast at 7:30 and departure for the Apartheid Museum and SOWETO (Southwestern Township) at 8:30.  I have never exactly been a fan of museums, but the Apartheid museum was pretty decent.  Seeing Desmund Tutu’s and Nelson Mandela’s previous homes in SOWETO was pretty damn sweet as well.  Both of those guys are pretty badass in my book.  (Changing a country in one man’s lifetime is seriously remarkable.)

            On Friday we will meet our urban homestay families and on Monday we will start our practicum in an urban school.  Im ready for this.  Tired of anticipation.   

            As predicted, my loss of routine has made me a bit crabby at times, but nothing that distractions and a good run cannot cure.  Im praying (not that I pray, but you know what I mean) that Ill get a good run in tomorrow.  Oh how I miss the heat and running in it.  I really do.  Since surviving one Sewanee winter, I seriously love nothing more than hot, humid South Mississippi summers.  Running in such heat provides me with serious reward; drenched in sweat and overwhelmed with heat- that has to be the result of a good workout. 


June 6, 2011

            Warmer weather! AND a good run!  We made the seven hour drive from Johannesburg to Durban today, which turned out to be pretty enjoyable mainly because I rode in the car with the academic director of the program (seriously bright guy who lived through Apartheid) and two other highly engaging students.  Meeting people who are passionate about the same issues as I am has been encouraging and refreshing for me.  I was amazed by a conversation that I had with the academic director about Apartheid and his attitude towards the recovery of his country. 
            After our group experienced a very positive interaction with a couple whom we later learned fought in the forces to keep Apartheid alive, I made my disgust with their actions very obvious to our director.  “No, no” he calmly said.  “You cant look at it that way.  We have to move past that in this country.  We have to learn to live together peacefully.”  “Holy shit,” I thought to myself.  This guy is an intensely level headed and forgiving man. 
            Throughout our seven hour car ride we continued to talk extensively about Apartheid, its multiple and deep effects on South Africa, and the general state of race relations in this country today.  I was fascinated, to say the least.  Not only with our director’s clear and balanced understanding of South Africa’s current state, but also with all of South Africa’s people.  I already knew about the TRC (Truth and Reconciliation Commission) and how successful its been in some realms of society, but seeing that first hand was quite an experience. 
            While I was highly impressed with this man’s attitude and the success of all of South Africa, I do not intend to paint an unrealistic picture of race relations in the current South Africa.  Much progress has been made, but there is still much progress to be made.  South Africa is the most unequal country in the world with the highest Gini coefficient, and if reforms and changes are not made, the situation will only worsen.  With the appropriate changes though, South Africa has magnificent potential.  Thus far into this trip, I am confident that this potential will be realized.  

1 comment:

  1. didnt post all of this till now because of lack of internet

    ReplyDelete