Monday 13 June 2011

Homestay

June 10, 2011

My homestay family could not have been more welcoming to me.  They are amazing.  The grandmother (Mama Shongwe) has a strong, large framed body with a sweet smile and deep eyes that made me feel welcome and cared for right away.  Her husband, Sbu, is a man who wears his age and wisdom upon his face in the most charming sense.  Their three granddaughters Lu (age 3), Sana (21), and Bahle (18) live with them.  I immediately befriended all three girls.  After Lu fell asleep in my lap (precious! right?), the older girls and I watched TV together (mainly American TV shows such as the Hills- gross) and chatted as though we were sisters who grew up together.

Around 8 o clock Sbu stumbled into the house and greeted me with a hug.  He was slightly tipsy and quite amusing.  He asked me to join him in the living room after I was done visiting with the girls in the kitchen. Join him I did.  He had a multitude of questions for me, all of which I was happy to answer.  "I want to get to know you because while you are staying with us you are my child.  I will look after you." Fine by me, buddy.  This man was hilarious, and clearly very wise.  "I want you to learn to speak Zulu, my mother tongue, while you are here."  "Please teach me!" I eagerly replied.

Mama Shongwe cooked the best meal that Ive had since arriving in South Africa, and later made scones (what we call biscuits in the States) that were freakin delicious.

June 11, 2011

Earlier the living room was filled with the glorious sounds of Brittney Spears and Eminem music videos (great representation of America, right?).  I have reassured my sisters multiple times that most of us Americans are absolutely not like that.

Sbu asked me about my day about six times tonight and told me that he wants me to be happy while Im here.  I assured him that Im learning a lot and love living with his family.  "I like you," he told me.  "Well that's good because you're stuck with me for two weeks," I jovially replied.  His wife later told me that he said that Im respectful and must come from a disciplined family.  Way to go, madre and padre.

In addition to all other fashionable coastal residents, I wear croakies on my sunglasses.  I never knew that such a small accessory would invoke the questioning that it did this evening.  "Why do you wear your glasses around your neck?" my sister inquired.  "So I don't lose them," I replied.  "Oh. We thought they told you to keep them around your neck so we wouldn't steal them because we black people just steal everything."  I immediately cracked up.  We then had a friendly conversation about stereotypes.  I love that Im already close enough with these girls that we can talk about such topics with a relaxed attitude.

1 comment:

  1. I was laughing out loud while reading this. I love the story about the croakies, your sunglasses around your neck. That is kind of funny and yet kind of sad.

    ReplyDelete