Friday 22 July 2011

post return to America rambling

Well, I guess the name of this blog should change since Im no longer in South Africa.  What the heck am I going to write about now?  (If I continue to write on this, that is.)  I suppose the U.S. has its own issues that would be pretty intriguing to any foreigner- a general obsession with fast food (which I dont even consider real food), excessive idiot box (my father's oh so appropriate name for the television) watching, serious lack of exercise, and excessive use (and therefore lack of appreciation) of natural resources are a few examples.

Returning to classes at Sewanee will absolutely not be comparable to my experience at the primary school in South Africa, but thats mostly a good thing.  Id rather not witness teachers smacking students around and screaming at them.  There ARE parts of the Sewanee life that would be pretty amusing to outsiders though.  That whole gown business and an overall fixation on tradition are the first two that come to mind.  There are also aspects of Sewanee living that are pretty awesome too, in my opinion- I dont think Ive ever locked the door to my room (maybe thats stupid, but its never been an issue for me), I know everyone I see when I walk to class, people are generally extremely friendly, in my six semesters, Ive had two, maybe three professors who werent amazing, most students are intelligent and fun to be around, the cafeteria food is (in my opinion) far better than it could be.  So, I guess I could write about life in Sewanee when I return in a month, but, although Ive listed the reasons Sewanee is intriguing and great, it wont be nearly as amusing as reading a blog about South Africa.  Sewanee is not a foreign country that is seventeen years out of a highly oppressive, racist, sexist police state.  I wont be living with an amazing family with a precious three year old this semester.  Ill be learning in a classroom, not a country.        

I am glad to be home in the hot, humid, sticky South Mississippi (I really do like the summers here), but I do miss that amazing, intensely paradoxical and confusing (but in a good way) South Africa.  I miss my family, I miss Lu's precious, animated little face, I miss my fellow SIT students, and strangely enough, I miss being in an environment that challenged me to no end.  As I said though, I am glad to be home, to be eating what I want to (pretty much the same thing every day- my mom tells me Im special), to be running every day, and just back in my semi obsessive routine.  I will definitely return to South Africa to further explore the complexities and fascinating society that exist there.      

No comments:

Post a Comment